Roosevelt Elementary School Nurse is Ms. Giselle Tapia
Ms. Tapia can be reached by email at [email protected]
Serious respiratory illnesses like influenza (FLU) are spread by coughing, sneezing and unclean hands. Flu spreads easily in crowded places, such as school, where people are in close contact.
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Muscle aches
- Feeling tired and weak
If your child displays any of the above symptoms, please keep them home and have them do the following:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Wash hands often with soap and water
- Cover nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Take Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen to relieve fever and discomfort, as allowed by doctor
- Check temperature, and if above 100.0 degrees, please stay home and rest
Important Information for Students with Asthma
Students who have asthma and desire to carry their inhaler in school for self-administration need to follow several steps:
- Have their “Asthma Medication Authorization Form” on file at school.
- Have a Pharmacy prescription label attached to inhaler.
- Make sure the date on the inhaler is not expired.
- If you have any questions, please contact the school nurse.
Medication at School
State guidelines require any student taking a prescription or over the counter drugs (aspirin, Tylenol, cough syrups, antihistamines, etc.) at school must have a Medications Guidelines form signed by his/her doctor. Verbal permission from parents will not be allowed, nor will parents’ notes. These forms are available in the nurse’s office and should be returned there upon completion by the doctor. Students needing to take antibiotics at school will also need a doctor’s note. Obtain these from your doctor when he/she gives you the prescription. If you have any questions, please call the school health clerk.
Vision testing is completed at school. Referral letters are sent home for students that did not pass the screening. If your child currently wears glasses, they are not screened. For these students we would request a vision exam report for our records on your next visit to the optometrist. Please return the form to the school health clerk when completed.